The best way to prevent the COVID-19 infection is to have an optimally-functioning immune system. Here are some proven Ayurvedic immune boosters.
In addition to preventative measures such as washing hands frequently, limiting physical touch, and wearing a mask, diet, stress management, and herbal supplements are pivotal to keeping the physical body strong and the immune system elevated.
Keep in mind that children, the elderly, and people who are immunocompromised or have co-morbidities require extra attention.
If you’re not sure how to boost your immune system because of existing health conditions, set up a 20-min complimentary call with me to find out how.
Ayurvedic Immunity Support
- Guduchi: 500-1,000mg of aqueous extract
- Amla (Indian gooseberry): 3-6g on an empty stomach in the morning
- Turmeric: Gargle with warm water mixed with turmeric and a pinch of salt or take 2g of turmeric twice per day with honey or warm water
- Tulsi (Indian holy basil): Frequent sipping of tulsi-infused water
- Ashwagandha powder: 3-5g twice a day with warm milk or water
- Chyawanprash: 1 tbsp
Immune Boosting Vitamins & Minerals
- Vitamin D3 with K2 – 10,000 IU/day daily until symptoms are gone, then reduce the dose to 5,000-8,000 IU/day
- Zinc – 50-100mg/day
- Quercetin – 4-6g/day
- Vitamin C – powder in buffered form, 5g daily
- N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) – 600mg twice a day
Lifestyle Tips (Dinacharya) for Boosting Immunity
- Drink 1-3 glasses of warm water with lemon
- Gandusha (oil pulling): Swish 1 tbsp of sesame oil or coconut oil in your mouth for 5-20 minutes. Spit out and brush teeth.
- Yoga asanas (physical poses): Can be practiced for 15-20 minutes to improve flexibility and relieve mental stress.
- Seated postures like Padmasana (lotus pose), Sukhasana (easy pose), Vajrasana (thunderbolt pose), and Paschimottanasana (seated forward bend)
- Supine postures like Pawanmuktasana (wind-relieving pose), Halasana (plow pose), and Matsyasana (fish pose)
- Prone postures like Bhujangasana (cobra pose), Shalabhasana (locust pose)
- Relaxing postures like Shavasana (corpse pose)
- Pranayama: Nadi Shodhan (alternate nostril breathing, Bhramri (humming bee breathing)
- Meditation: At least 10 minutes
Throughout the day:
- Maintain hydration
- Eat fresh, warm food that is light and easy to digest. Do not overeat.
- Restrict: sweet foods (because they’re difficult to digest), fried and oily foods, and cold and food and drinks
- Ginger or peppermint tea: Drink ginger or peppermint tea throughout the day, especially 30 minutes before a large meal.
- Stress management: It is normal to feel stressed, scared or angry during this time. Reach out to friends and family as frequently as possible. Read and listen to music to counter stress.
- Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol or recreational drugs as this will weaken your immune system.
- Support children by listening to their concerns with love and attention
- Don’t eat after 8pm
- Wait at least 2 hours after dinner before sleeping
- Sleep 7-8 hours at night
Post Treatment Restorative Healthcare
The growing number of recoveries has created a slew of questions about what it really means to “recover” from COVID-19. Is the patient contagious? Do they now have immunity to the virus? What are the long-term effects? How are the heart and respiratory system affected? While a lot still remains unknown, Ayurvedic clinic trials have shown the following herbs to be effective in strengthening and stabilizing the immune system post-COVID-19.
- Vidanga: 3-6g with honey at night, 1 hour after dinner
- Amalaki 3-6g or Triphala 3-6g on an empty stomach in the morning
- Punarnava: 15-20 ml with an equal amount of water
- Gokshura Guggulu: 500 mg twice a day with warm water, after meals
- Stimulate your appetite by chewing on a piece of ginger sprinkled with a pinch of rock salt for 15-20 minutes before meals
- Cook with spices like cumin, black pepper, garlic, coriander, ginger, and ajwain (carom seeds)
We should all be walking around with the best health possible. COVID-19 has made that need more urgent. To learn how to take your immune system from where it is now to optimal levels, contact me for a 20-min complimentary call. We’ll customize your own personal immune-boosting plan by looking at your unique Ayurvedic constitution, diet, supplements, food sensitivities, lifestyle, pre-existing health conditions, and genetic predispositions.